Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 10 (11/20/13)

Fairleigh Dickinson University (Part 1 - Professor Dolbin)
(8:00 - 12:00)

           Today, Professor Dolbin taught me some extra information in Galois Theory that was not covered in the textbook. I also began my studies in Lie algebras, in which several unusual properties hold. For instance, x+(y+z) is not always equal to (x+y)+z. I spent a majority of my time solving exercises from the text, which helped me get a better grasp in the topic. I am really glad to be in this internship, where I have the freedom to choose whatever I want to learn, guided by a professional in this field.

(Part 2 - Professor Farag)
(1:00 - 3:00)

            Afterwards, in Professor Farag's class, we discussed more ring theory and explored special kinds of polynomials. We separated into groups and discussed problem set questions, and another test was scheduled. Luckily for me, the topics I studied with Professor Dolbin again resurfaced in Professor Farag's class today, allowing me to compose notes and solution sets for the week more easily. In general I learned more knowledge in various types of algebras and I am very thankful for this internship!

No comments:

Post a Comment